Cryotherapy is the use of low cryogenic temperatures for
healing and pain relieving purposes. It is one of the oldest
and most widely used types of therapies, dating back to
the seventeenth century. Most people are familiar with the
use of ice packs or even ice baths to reduce inflammation
and aid recovery. The extreme cold causes the body to radically
respond, increasing blood flow and releasing hormones and
neurotransmitters which collectively speeds up recovery.
Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) is a procedure where an individual
is exposed to ultra-low temperatures ranging between -120
°C and -170 °C. The client is placed in a cryogenic sauna
for a short duration of 30 seconds to 3 minutes. We also
offer a local Cryotherapy machine, if client's would prefer
to focus on a specific area of the body or injury.
Tremendous success has been achieved treating a wide range
of diseases, injuries as well as promoting sport recovery
and even playing a significant role in anti-aging. Whole
body Cryotherapy has been well researched offering empirical
evidence for the effective treatment of many conditions.
· Back and Neck pain
· Chronic pain
· Post-operative rehabilitation
· Sports recovery and performance
· Musculoskeletal injuries
- Muscle injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Joint conditions
- Tennis Elbow
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Golfers elbow
- Shoulder impingement
· Inflammatory conditions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
· Auto-immune diseases
- Systemic Lupus
· Cosmetic (Anti-aging)
· Weight loss
HOW IT WORKS:
The process can be broken
down into the following 10 steps.
1. Whole body Cryotherapy commences
2. Thermoregulation is activated
4. Vasodilation rebound
5. Hormonal release
6. Pain signal adaptation
7. Muscle relaxation
8. Anti-inflammatory response
9. Reduces oxidative stress
10. Increased metabolism
Click here to view the whole body cryotherapy process
BENEFITS OF USING CRYOTHERAPY:
SPORT RECOVERY AND PERFORMANCE
· Improves recovery time
· Increases energy levels and stamina
· Increases testosterone in men
· Reduces inflammation throughout the body
· Relieves pain in joints and muscles
· Improves effectiveness of physiotherapy
· Reduced chronic inflammation
· Reduces chronic pain
Increases systemic immunity for (Rheumatoid arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Ankylosing spondylitis, Multiple sclerosis,
Psoriasis, Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder), Atopic dermatitis, Asthma, Osteoarthritis)
· Reduces oedema
· Improves postoperative recovery
· Improves libido and is used to treat erectile dysfunction
· Improves muscular fatigue
· Decreases muscle spasticity and spastic paresis
MENTAL HEALTH AND STRESS
· Improves mood and experience of wellbeing
· Reduces stress levels
· Decreases anxiety
· Decreases depression
· Benefits seen in sleeping disorders
· Proposed treatment for Alzheimer’s prevention
· Reduces signs of aging
· Increases collagen production
· Improves skin condition
· Improves condition of hair and nails
· Increases metabolism
· Reduces cellulite
· Reduces hair loss
WHAT IT ACHIEVES:
· Pain Relief
· Injury recovery
· Inflammation reduction
· Improved micro-circulation
· Improved recovery time
· Increased collagen production
· Increased metabolism
ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
I don't like cold. Would
it be comfortable for me?
Even those with a low tolerance for cold report it to be
within their comfort range. You are advised to start with
shorter sessions (30 seconds to one minute) and build it
up from there.
How do I feel after treatment?
During each session the body naturally releases endorphins.
Endorphins are the body's natural pain medication hormones
which create a sense of euphoria. This causes you to feel
relaxed, improves your mood, increases pleasure and minimises
any pain you might have.
What happens if my skin
is wet or I have used moisturiser before my session?
Any moisture on the skin can cause skin burns. A towel will
be provided to dry yourself before your session.
Do I need to shower before
or after the treatment?
No, you don't. The treatment is completely dry and will
not make your skin wet.
What clothing should I bring
for the treatment?
It is imperative that all the clothing you wear during your
session must be completely dry to avoid skin burns. All
jewellery and piercings should also be removed. You will
be provided with a gown, gloves and socks.
Men: You can wear shorts, board-shorts or simply just underwear.
Woman: You can wear shorts, your bikini or just underwear.
Can I use Cryotherapy if
I am claustrophobic?
Yes, you can. The door to the CryoSauna is never locked,
and you can exit at any time. The CryoSauna is open at the
top and your head is raised above the rim, allowing you
to see in all directions and breathe natural air in the
Are there any health contra-indications
for whole body Cryotherapy?
Yes, WBC is not allowed in the following conditions:
· Severe, unmanaged hypertension (BP> 180/100)
· Cardiac pacemaker
· Recent heart surgery
· Valvular heart disease,
· Congestive heart failure
· Heart attack within previous six months
· Unstable angina pectoris
· Decompensating diseases (e.g. oedema) of the cardiovascular
and respiratory system
· Deep vein thrombosis
· Ischaemic heart disease
· Raynaud's syndrome
· Peripheral arterial occlusive disease
· Known circulatory dysfunction
· Severe anaemia
· People undergoing treatment for cancer
· People who experience uncontrolled seizures
· Cold allergy
· Acute kidney and urinary tract diseases
· Chronic liver disease
· Open wounds or ulcers
· Bacterial and viral infections of the skin
· People under influence of drugs or alcohol
· Hyperhidrosis - heavy perspiration
· Acute febrile respiratory disease
With our CryoFacial treatment, pressured liquid nitrogen vapour is sprayed directly onto the face, neck and head.
Our CryoFacial™ achieves:
· Immediate tightening of skin
· Reduction in pore size
· Reduction of facial inflammation (“puffiness”)
· Decrease wrinkles and lines
· Stimulation of collagen production
· Improve micro circulation
Click here to view research articles for whole body cryotherapy